The most tempting foods for me
After arriving home I came up with a plan that had worked for me in 2005 after 2.5 months in Europe. Low carb. Yep, a good old variation on Atkins or Keto. Here is the plan and it is pretty fool proof if you follow strictly. I had gained approximately 5 lbs in Italy and ended up losing it by following this plan for 3 weeks. I am 5’1″ , so 5 lbs. is more like 8-10 for someone in the 5’7″ range.
- Calorie counting. I use the Lose It app . It will calculate your calorie intake for weight loss. It has a formula with your age, height and activity level. My calorie intake to lose weight moderately was 1300 calories (thanks to midlife!). Remember you can add in your exercise, so you can typically consume 1550 if you are burning 250 calories working out.
- Keep your carb intake to within 50-75 grams of carbs a day. I will eat whatever I want as long as the carbs are in that range.
- I have 2 meals that add up to 20-25 grams of carbs each. My favorite meal is my low carb protein smoothie. Below is the recipe. The remaining carbs I save for a treat like an Enlightened Fudge Bar or dark chocolate
- I focus on vegetables as you can eat more. I will add a protein to my salad like prosciutto, tofu or chicken. I always add cheese because it is low carb and makes it savory. My other favorite items are avocado & (shamefully) bacon, but both use up the calories pretty fast. I normally eat an omelette stuffed with veggies for dinner.Bolthouse salad dressings are amazing just watch the carbs. Better yet..excellent quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I also add in sour kraut and dijon mustard daily which are super healthy and tasty.
- I workout daily. I like to mix up my cardio. I burn at least 250-400 calories, biking, hiking, playing pickleball, or power yoga.
- Every other day I follow this core workout which is so good. You can do it on the floor while watching TV. It takes just 15 minutes and no equipment required ! Self Magazine 15 minute no equipment Core Workout